14 people died in Mumbai due to rapid spread of fire in Kamala Mills, Lower Parel at late Thursday night. Till now 14 people are dead and several others injured. However, most women died in the fire. 11 out of 14 are women who were in their mid-twenties and early thirties.
It spread rapidly to restaurants and offices. A nightlife club was also caught in this fire. Most of the places that caught fire were reported from the 37 acre premises that opened in the last few years. It is said that most of the people died due to suffocation.
A case of culpable homicide was launched against the promoters of “1 Above” restaurant where the fire broke out. Two people have incarcerated responsible for the fire break out. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has asked the civic body to “take strong action against erring officials”.
Also read: Triple Talaq Bill Passed
Kamala Mills Fire News
Mentioned below are some of the updates about the massive fire that broke out in Kamala Mills, Mumbai:
- The fire started a little after 12:30 am and began to spread. As reported by the witnesses, soon within half an hour of time, the building was engulfed in flames. Rescue teams immediately rushed to the spot to rescue those stuck in pub. Fire brigade immediately came in to stop the fire.
- The majority of people who died were women. This group was celebrating the birthday of their friends at a rooftop restaurant. The 28 year old woman, Khushboo Mehta, whose birthday was being celebrated, is also reported to be dead because of the fire.
- Allegations were made on the civic body stating that they ignored all the problems during construction. It is also said that the civic bodies had violated the fire norms. There wasn’t any step for fire safety in the building.
- The roof of the restaurant was made up of bamboo and tarpaulin sheets. These factors instigated the fire to spread even more.
- Sulbha KG Arora, a Mumbai doctor described the horrific incident. She was an eye-witness and in conversation with NDTV over the phone, she said, “There was no time for anyone to reach out because the fire spread so rapidly. The staff members of the restaurant were trying to help the customers as much as possible.” She then took to Twitter to describe the incident further. She tweeted “People were running over me even as the ceiling above me was collapsing in flames.” She described the incident as the scariest thing she had ever seen.
- Several news channel operators were shut down because of the damage caused to their equipment.
Reaction of politicians
As per the government bodies are concerned, they are all shocked and terrified by the incident. People have taken to Twitter to share their experiences and to express their gift. Even the President and Prime Minister of our country took to Twitter to express their grief.
PM Modi tweeted, “Anguished by the fire in Mumbai. My thoughts are with the bereaved families in this hour of grief. I pray that those injured recover quickly.” Leader of Twitter, Aditya Thackeray tweeted, “Implementing fire audits of such places are a must, and action will be taken if violations are found.” Shiv Sena lawmaker, Sunil Shinde has asked for a proper enquiry.
This place was once a 37 acre large construction area. This was recently turned into restaurants in the past few years. It is a major attraction of nightlife in Mumbai. The investigation is still going on. As per the latest reports by ANI, 14 are dead and 55 injured.