The Income Tax Department of India had made it important to link the Aadhar card with Pan Card to prevent any sudden evasion of Income tax on 5th August 2017. Earlier, the date for linking the cards were from 31 August 2017 to 31 December 2017. However, the government now has extended it till 31st March, 2018.
If Aadhar is not linked with PAN Card, income tax returns would be filed. The people can link their two cards by following a few steps in the official e-filing website. However, even in case of a minor mismatch, the cards would be rejected.
What are the steps to link the two identities?
There are two ways in which you can link them. The first being a 2 stepped process, while the second being a detailed process.
The 2 step process to link your Aadhaar and PAN card
- Visit the left pane of incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in, Link Aadhaar.
- Insert your PAN and Aadhaar number. Enter the name exactly as mentioned in the identity proofs (avoid spelling errors). Click on submit. UIDAI will verify the details, after which the linking is confirmed.
The detailed process of linking Aadhar and PAN Card
- Register in the income tax e-filing portal, only if you are not registered. You can register via incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
- Log in via e-filing portal of Income Tax Department by entering all the login information such as log-in ID, password and date of birth.
- After logging in, the pop up window will appear allowing to link PAN card and Aadhaar card. If the pop window does not appear, visit the blue tab on the top bar “Profile Settings” and click on ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- Fill up all the required information as mentioned. Verify it with your Aadhaar Card.
- Enter the Aadhaar card number and captcha code. Click on “Link now” button.
- The final confirmatory message about the linking of PAN card and Aadhar card will pop up on the screen.
Linking through Mobile
You can link your Aadhaar and PAN card via SMS also. The Income Tax Department has made SMS facility available to link the Aadhaar and PAN. You can send a message to either 567678 or 56161 to link the Aadhaar and PAN.
What is the importance of linking Aadhaar card and PAN card?
PAN card and Aadhaar card must be linked in order to discourage the Income Tax evasion because of manipulative practises such as “filing of ITRs via multiple PAN cards”.
What if anyone fails to link?
If an individual fails to link the documents, he/she will not be able to file any ITR. Next, if anyone fails to link, PAN card can be considered to be invalid. Approx. 99% of the Indian population has Aadhaar enrolment.
What if anyone doesn’t have an Aadhaar card?
For people who don’t own an Aadhaar card, they can apply for it. Even then, you can link Aadhaar card and PAN card by using the application number as provided by the document for your applied Aadhaar card.
Leave a Reply