James Cameron’s Avatar sequel is formally named Avatar: The Way of Water. Given that Avatar was first released in 2009, this might come as a surprise. However, the long-awaited sequel is all ready for release, and it won’t be the last time we see Pandora. There will be a total of five Avatar movies, with the fifth film’s release date set for 2028.
In 2009, James Cameron stunned audiences with Avatar, a story that is both aesthetically stunning and environmentally concerned. Cameron pioneered the use of motion-capture animation in cinema, developed a fully functional Na’vi language in collaboration with linguists, and created his own specialized camera for recording actors’ facial expressions.
At the time, Avatar’s visual effects were incredibly innovative, and it also broke multiple box office records. After the wildly successful first Avatar film, Cameron agreed to produce four more. Keep reading to know more about the release date, cast, and plot details of Avatar: The Way of Water.
The Release Date of Avatar: The Way of Water
On December 16, 2022, the eagerly anticipated Avatar sequel will be released. A 2014 release date for the first two sequels was anticipated when they were first announced in 2010. Due to the film’s requirements, there were eight theatrical postponements over a number of years. The most recent delay was revealed in June 2020, which brought us to the current 2022 release date.
The Cast of Avatar: The Way of Water
- Neytiri, the princess of the Na’vi, will once again be played by Zoe Saldaa.
- Jake Sully, the human-turned-Na’vi, will once again be played by Sam Worthington.
- Colonel Miles Quaritch played by Stephen Lang, is a major antagonist of the franchise.
- Sigourney Weaver will be returning as a teenage Kiri, the adopted daughter of Neytiri and Jake.
- Kate Winslet will play Ronal in all of the upcoming sequels of Avatar.
- The mother of Neytiri, Mo’at, will once again be played by CCH Pounder.
- General Ardmore will be portrayed by The Sopranos and Nurse Jackie fame Edie Falco.
- Corporal Lyle Wainfleet, A mercenary for the RDA will be played by Matt Gerald.
- Cliff Curtis as Tonowari will be commanding the new Na’vi clan, The Metkayina.
- Bailey Bass’s as Tsireya, a strong free-diver of the Metkayina and daughter of Tonowari.
- Duane Evans Jr.’s as Rotxo young male hunter of Metkayina.
The Plot of Avatar: The Way of Water
The Sully family, comprised of Jake, Neytiri, and their kids, is followed as their country is torn apart in the sequel. According to the official synopsis, the Sully family experiences danger, life-or-death conflicts, and tragedy throughout the movie. The two leave their homes and flee to the Metkayina’s Waterworld, disturbing the balance of the tribe.
Avatar: The Way of Water is set on Pandora roughly 12 years after the first movie. Since opting to permanently transfer his human consciousness into his Avatar body and become the new Na’vi leader, Jake Sully (Worthington) has spent a considerable amount of time on Pandora.
In Avatar: The Way of Water, which will introduce us to the Metkayina people, Pandora’s uncharted territories will be explored in great detail. The Metkayina clan, who reside among the reefs and waves on Pandora, acts as the major community in the movie.
The Budget of Avatar: The Way of Water
Avatar: The Way of Water is one of the most expensive in the Hollywood industry. The budget of the movie is between $350 million and $400 million. In an interview, James Cameron did not mention the exact budget of the movie but he told us how much Avatar: The Way of Water had to earn to be profitable. He stated that the film has to be the third or fourth highest-grossing film in history.