American absurdist comedy-drama film on multiverse jumping, ‘Everything Everywhere All At Once’, is a creation of Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert. The Daniels had been researching about multiverse for over a decade and began writing its script in 2016. They are also responsible for the direction of the movie.
‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ was premiered at South by Southwest (a film, media, and music festival held every year in March in Austin, Texas, United States) on March 11, 2022.
It got a limited theatrical release in the US on March 25, 2022, and then A24 released it worldwide on April 8, 2022. The movie grossed over $103 million and was the first movie of A24 that reached this threshold.
The lead cast of the movie are,
- Michelle Yeoh as Evelyn Quan Wang
- Ke Huy Quan as Waymond Wang
- Stephanie Hsu as Joy Wang
- James Hong as Gong Gong
- Jamie Lee Curtis as Dierdre Beaubeirdre
- Jenny Slate as Debbie
- Harry Shum Jr. as Chad
- Tallie Medel as Becky Sregor
Everything Everywhere All At Once Plot
The movie is about a girl in China, Evelyn, who goes against her father’s wishes and elopes to the US to marry her love Waymond. The couple has a daughter and also owns a laundromat. Several years later, the laundromat is being evaluated by the IRS. Evelyn’s life isn’t quite smooth with so many things happening together – her demanding father has come to stay with her, her husband is trying to divorce her and her daughter wants her to accept her relationship with her non-Chinese girlfriend.
Amidst this, she is confronted by Alpha-Waymond, who is from Alphaverse, which Alpha-Evelyn developed. Alpha-Waymond wants her to defeat Jobu Tupaki, who is the corrupted version of Alpha-Joy, her daughter. The story then proceeds on how Evelyn takes care of everything.
Everything Everywhere All At Once Nominations
It is critically acclaimed for its humor, imagination, editing, visual effects, direction, and the performances of the lead characters and treatment of themes like Asian-American identity, existentialism, and nihilism. The movie has received eight nominations for the Film Independent Spirit Awards – movie with most nominations in this award. The nominations are as follows:
- Best Feature – Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert, Jonathan Wang, Joe Russo, Anthony Russo, Mike Larocca
- Best Director – Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert
- Best Lead Performance – Michelle Yeoh
- Best Supporting Performance – Jamie Lee Curtis
- Best Supporting Performance – Ke Huy Quan
- Best Breakthrough Performance – Stephanie Hsu
- Best Screenplay – Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert
- Best Editing – Paul Rogers
The Film Independent Spirit Awards has been scheduled for March 4, 2023.
Leave a Reply